Langefeld, Johanna, Born 5 March 1900, Kupferdreh, Germany, died  26 January 1974, was a German female guard and supervisor at three Nazi concentration camps: Lichtenburg, Ravensbrück, and Auschwitz.
Born in Kupferdreh (now Essen, Germany), Johanna Langefeld was brought up in a Lutheran, nationalistic family. Her father was a blacksmith. In 1924, she moved to Mülheim and married Wilhelm Langefeld, who died in 1926 of lung disease. In 1928, Langefeld fell pregnant with another man, left him soon afterward, and moved to Düsseldorf, where her son was born that August. Langefeld was unemployed until age 34, when she began to teach domestic economy in an establishment of the city of Neuss. From 1935 onwards, she worked as a guard in a so-called Arbeitsanstalt (working institution) in Brauweiler, which was, in fact, a prison for prostitutes, unemployed and homeless women, and other so called "antisocial" women, who were then later imprisoned in concentration camps. From 1937 on, Langefeld was a member of the Nazi party. In March 1938, Langefeld applied for a job as a camp guard in the first SS concentration camp for women in Lichtenburg. After one year, she became the female superintendent of this camp, where she stayed until the camp population was transferred to Ravensbrück in May 1939. She was in charge of the selections in Ravensbrück during the so-called "14f13” murder campaign. In March 1942, Langefeld was assigned to build a new women's camp in Auschwitz. There, she selected prisoners for the gas chamber. Rudolf Höß, the Commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp, recalled his relationship towards Johanna Langefeld as follows: The chief female supervisor of the period, Frau Langefeld, was in no way capable of coping with the situation, yet she refused to accept any instructions given her by the leader of the protective custody camp. Acting on my own initiative, I simply put the women's camp under his jurisdiction. During the visit of Heinrich Himmler on 18 July 1942, Langefeld tried to get him to annul this order. In fact, Rudolf Höß admitted after the war that “the Reichsführer SS absolutely refused” his order and that he wished “a women's camp to be commanded by a woman”. Himmler ordered that Langefeld should stay in charge of the women's camp and that in the future, no SS man should enter the female camp. That month, the Auschwitz women's camp was moved to Auschwitz-Birkenau camp three km away. Two weeks later, Langefeld sustained an injury of her meniscus and required a cartilage operation in the Hohenlychen SS Sanatorium near Ravensbrück. During her stay there, she went to see Oswald Pohl, the chief of the SS Economy and Administration Head Office, in Berlin-Lichterfelde, and convinced him to transfer her back to Ravensbrück. Maria Mandel became the new Oberaufseherin of the women's prisoner camp in Auschwitz. Oswald Pohl instructed the Chief of Department D of his SS Economy and Administration Head Office, Richard Glücks, to order that duties of protective custody camp leaders in the Women's Camps be executed thereafter by the female superintendents, the Oberaufseherinnen. Margarete Buber-Neumann, who became Langefeld's prisoner assistant in Ravensbrück, recorded that Langefeld was dismissed for excessive sympathy with Polish prisoners; she was separated from her son, taken under arrest to Breslau, where an SS tribunal prepared a trial against her. Langefeld never went to trial, and was released from her camp duties. She then moved to Munich and started to work for BMW. On 20 December 1945, Langefeld was arrested by the U.S. Army, and in September 1946, was extradited to the Polish judiciary preparing a trial in Kraków against SS personnel in Auschwitz. On 23 December 1946, she escaped from prison. Given her prior relatively positive treatment of inmates in this German Nazi concentration camp located on occupied Polish soil, the escape was assisted by Polish staff of the prison where she was held. After the escape she hid in a convent, working in a private home. Sometime around 1957, she returned illegally to live with her sister in Munich. She died in Augsburg, Germany on 26 January 1974, aged 73. Bron: Wikipedia.

Koegel, Max. SS, directeur. Born 16 October 1895, died 27 June 1946, was a Nazi officer who served as a commander at Lichtenburg, Ravensbrück, Majdanek and Flossenbürg concentration camps. Max Koegel was born on 16 October 1895 in Füssen, in the Kingdom of Bavaria. He was the fourth son of a carpenter who worked at a local furniture factory. Shortly before his sixth birthday, Koegel's mother died from complications during childbirth. In 1907, his father died and Max was sent to live with a family at a nearby farm. He also had to leave school and began training as a shepherd and later worked as a mountain guide. When the First World War broke out, Koegel volunteered to join the Bavarian infantry. He served in the military until 12 January 1919 and reached the rank of corporal. He was wounded three times, including once during the Battle of Verdun, and received the Iron Cross second class. After the war, Koegel returned to Bavaria and worked as a customs clerk in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. In 1920, he left the civil service and opened a souvenir shop. However, four years later he filed for bankruptcy after he was charged with fraud, for which he received a suspended sentence. He went on to travel for work in Switzerland and Austria before returning to Füssen, where he obtained a job in his father's old furniture factory. At that time, he joined the Völkischer Bund and Bund Oberland, both extreme nationalist and anti-Semitic organisations. In 1929, Koegel's eight-year-old son died from measles and a short time later, his marriage of ten years ended in divorce. Koegel became a member of the NSDAP (#1179781) on 2 May 1932, and of the SS (#37644) in June 1932. Koegel became adjutant to the Dachau concentration camp commander in 1937. From 1938 to 1942 he was first "Direktor" (managing director) and then commander of the labour camp for women in Lichtenburg at Ravensbrück at the rank of Sturmbannführer (Major). In 1942 he was commander of the extermination camp Majdanek and was involved in the installation of gas chambers at this site. From 1943 to 1945 he was commander at Flossenbürg concentration camp. After the war, Koegel went on the run and was not arrested until June 1946 in Schwabach, near Nuremberg. He committed suicide by hanging in his prison cell only a day later on 27 June 1946. Bron: Wikipedia.

Zimmer, Emma. Bewaakster. Born (née Mezel) 14 August 1888, died 20 September 1948, was a female overseer at the Lichtenburg concentration camp, the Ravensbrück concentration camp and the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination/concentration camp for several years during the war. Mezel was born in 1888 in Schlüchtern. In 1938, Emma became a guard at the Lichtenburg early concentration camp, where she became assistant camp leader under Johanna Langefeld. In 1939 she was assigned to the Ravensbrück concentration camp where she served as assistant chief leader, and in October 1942 she became assistant camp leader at Auschwitz II (Birkenau) as an SS-Stellvertretende Oberaufseherin. On 1 June 1943, one month before her 55th birthday, she was granted permission to stay on staff as a female overseer at Ravensbrück, despite her age. She was one of the first chief woman officers at Ravensbrück from 1939-41 and took an active part in the selection of internees to be gassed during 1941 at the Bernberg Euthanasia Center near Berlin. Zimmer served as a guard at Ravensbrück and was known in the camp for being brutal and sadistic in her guard duties. At Auschwitz, Emma was particularly feared: "Our supervisor was an old and mean SS-woman called Emma Zimmer. She was vicious and dangerous and frightening us constantly with threats, proclaiming in a sadistic voice, “I will report you and then you will go away, you know where? Just one way-up the chimney.” We hated her and were scared of her." She was awarded the War Merit Cross Second Class without swords. Zimmer stood trial at the seventh Ravensbrück Trial and was sentenced to death for her war crimes.  She was hanged by Albert Pierrepoint on the gallows at Hamelin Prison on 20 September 1948; she was 60 years old. Bron: Wikipedia.

Pietsch, Ella. Bewaakster.

Bernigau, Jane. Bewaakster. Born 5 October 1908, died 23 March 1992, was an SS Oberaufseherin in Nazi concentration camps before and during World War II. Bernigau was born on 5 October 1908, in Sagan, Germany (now Zagan, Poland). In 1938, she joined the camp staff at the Lichtenburg early camp in eastern Germany. There, because of her willingness to get her job done, she was eventually promoted to chief wardress (Oberaufseherin) over the vast system of Gross-Rosen women's satellite camps. In May 1939, Bernigau went to Ravensbrück concentration camp as a guard. In September 1942 (or 1943), Bernigau was sent as a wardress to the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp satellite camp at St. Lambrecht. Bernigau was posted to the Gross-Rosen concentration camp in 1944 as chief wardress and dealt with the initial training of female guard candidates until they were dispersed out to Langenbielau/Reichenbach for completion of their course. She was awarded the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse ohne Schwerter medal in 1944 for her devotion to the Third Reich and her camp services, and she had tremendous power over her subordinate female guards as well as the women prisoners in the sub-camps. In a recent publication, they wrote: "The commander of Gross-Rosen inspected the camps frequently and went on field trips to choose appropriate locations for new camps. SS Chief Supervisor Jane Bernigau did a stint in Gross-Rosen and sometimes accompanied the commander on visits that had to be regularized. In February 1945 Bernigau accompanied male SS leaders from Gross-Rosen to Reichenau where she fled from during May 1945 and never prosecuted for war crimes. After the war she lived in West Germany and according to the German historian Isabell Sprenger, Bernigau was several times interrogated by the authorities, for the last time in 1976. She died in Musum in March 1992 at the age of 83. Bron: Wikipedia.

, Ottile. Bewaakster.

Rabestein, Gertrud. Bewaakster met hond. Geboren 5. Januar 1903 in Naumburg; Gestorben 1974 in Stollberg/Erzgeb.) war eine deutsche Aufseherin in dem Konzentrationslager Ravensbrück und Oberwachtmeisterin im Gefängnis Naumburg. Rabestein, gelernte Haushaltsgehilfin, arbeitete als Reinigungskraft im Landgericht Naumburg. Im Mai 1933 trat sie der Ortsgruppe Naumburg der NSDAP bei. Nachdem sie sich 1938 in der Frauenabteilung des Gefängnisses Naumburg als Wärterin bewarb, erhielt sie noch im selben Jahr eine Anstellung als Aufseherin im KZ Lichtenburg. Dort war sie auch mit Maria Mandl und Johanna Bormann tätig. Im Mai 1939 wurde sie mit den anderen Aufseherinnen in das neu eröffnete KZ Ravensbrück bei Fürstenberg versetzt, wo sie zeitweise als Hundeführerin fungierte. Sie erhielt dort den Spitznamen „
Rabenaas“, da sie sich gegenüber Häftlingen äußerst brutal verhalten haben soll. Ab 1942 wohnte sie wieder in Naumburg und war bis zum Einmarsch der Roten Armee im April 1945 als Oberwachtmeisterin im Naumburger Gefängnis eingesetzt. Nach Kriegsende wurde Rabestein in Haft genommen und am 31. August 1948 vom Landgericht Halle (Saale) wegen Mordes und Misshandlung von KZ-Häftlingen zu lebenslanger Haft verurteilt. Sie war den Rest ihres Lebens inhaftiert und starb 1974 schwerkrank im Frauengefängnis Hoheneck. Mehrere Gnadengesuche, zuletzt 1971 durch ihren Sohn, wurden abgelehnt.
Öffentliches Aufsehen erregte die Person Gertrud Rabesteins nochmals 1953 in Zusammenhang mit Erna Dorn. Die ehemalige Gestapo-Mitarbeiterin gab sich nach Kriegsende in Halle (Saale) zunächst als ehemalige KZ-Gefangene aus. Im Prozess gegen Gertrud Rabenstein 1948 entzog sie sich zwei Jahre lang einer Zeugenaussage durch eine vorgetäuschte Schwangerschaft. Wegen anderer krimineller Delikte wurde Dorn 1951 verhaftet und später verurteilt. Während der Haft gab sie an, Mitarbeiterin der Politischen Abteilung des KZ Ravensbrück gewesen zu sein. Sie wurde von ehemaligen Häftlingen des KZ in der Zeitung Neues Deutschland beschuldigt, als Gertrud Rabestein alias Dorn Verbrechen an KZ-Häftlingen begangen zu haben. Sie wurde, obwohl alle ihre Angaben nicht belegbar waren, als „Die Kommandeuse von Ravensbrück, Erna Dorn alias Rabestein, das Rabenaas“ bezeichnet und verurteilt. Während des Volksaufstandes am 17. Juni 1953 wurde sie von den Aufständischen aus der Haft befreit, tags darauf wieder inhaftiert und am 1. Oktober 1953 als Haupträdelsführerin des Aufstandes in Halle durch das Fallbeil in der Zentralen Hinrichtungsstätte der DDR hingerichtet. Stephan Hermlin verarbeitete den Fall 1957 in der antifaschistischen Novelle „Die Kommandeuse“. Der Neffe Rabesteins bat Hermlin 1985 per Brief, die Novelle wegen des Justizirrtums zu überarbeiten, was Hermlin jedoch ablehnte.

Fräde, Edith. Bewaakster.

Zill, Egon. SS, bewaker. Born 28 March 1906 in Plauen, died 23 October 1974 in Dachau was a German Schutzstaffel Sturmbannführer and concentration camp commandant. The son of a brewer from Plauen, Zill's father was severely injured in the First World War and as such Zill was apprenticed to a baker at an early age in order to bring in much needed money to the family. As a 17-year-old Zill enlisted in both the Nazi Party and the Sturmabteilung, switching to the SS as soon as it came to his hometown (in fact Zill was the 535 member of the SS nationally).Zill would later work as a security guard in a curtain factory and it was not until 1934 that he became a full-time SS man, serving as a guard at a minor concentration camp at Chemnitz. From this low beginning Zill began to rise through the ranks at the camps. His first appointment at a major camp was at Lichtenburg where he, along with fellow future commandant Arthur Rödl, guarded the camp borders. He moved between camps, seeing service at Dachau, Ravensbrück and Hinzert in various capacities. His first commandant role was at Natzweiler-Struthof before taking charge at Flossenbürg. As a commandant Zill expected his guards to act with the discipline of soldiers whilst also supporting the idea that camp inmates who had been indoctrinated into Nazism should be allowed to fight for Nazi Germany in return for their freedom. His regime as a commandant was also marked by extreme cruelty and according to the testimonies of inmates Zill's crimes included tying prisoners to trees before allowing his dogs to savage their genitalia. Zill was replaced in April 1943 by Max Koegel after being judged ineffective as a commandant. The move followed letters of complaint to Fritz Sauckel from the villagers about the high standards of living enjoyed by camp guards and their wives in contrast to the impoverished standards in the village, as well as a culture of corruption amongst the guards. He was transferred to the Eastern Front in 1943. Nicknamed 'little Zill' because of his short stature he went to ground after the Second World War but revealed himself when he put his real name on the birth certificate of an illegitimate child. Sentenced to life imprisonment by a Munich court the sentence was reduced on appeal to fifteen years in 1955. Following his release Zill settled in Dachau where he died in 1974. Bron: Wikipedia.

Binz, Dorothea. Bewaakster. Born 16 March 1920, died 2 May 1947, was an officer and supervisor at Ravensbrück concentration camp during the Second World War. She was executed for war crimes. Born to a lower middle-class German family in Försterei Dusterlake, Brandenburg, Germany, Binz attended school until she was 15. She volunteered for kitchen work at Ravensbrück in August 1939, and was given a position of Aufseherin (female overseer) the following month. Binz served as an Aufseherin under Oberaufseherin Emma Zimmer, Johanna Langefeld, Maria Mandel, and Anna Klein. Though she worked under higher-ranking guards, Binz was known as "the true star of the camp," and the "chief guard was completely overshadowed by her deputy."She worked in various parts of the camp, including the kitchen and laundry. Later, she is said to have supervised the bunker where women prisoners were tortured and killed. She began as deputy director of her penal block in September 1940 and became director of the cell block in the summer of 1942. Binz was unofficially promoted to Stellvertretende Oberaufseherin (Deputy Chief Wardress) in July 1943; the promotion was made official in February 1944. Her abuse was later described as "unyielding". She was known to "watch for the weakest or most fearful women, whom she would then shower with lashes or blows." As a member of the command staff between 1943 and 1945, she directed training and assigned duties to over 100 female guards at one time. Binz reportedly trained some of the cruelest female guards in the system, including Ruth Closius. At Ravensbrück, the young Binz is said to have beaten, slapped, kicked, shot, whipped, stomped and abused women continuously. Witnesses testified that when she appeared at the Appellplatz, "silence fell." She reportedly carried a whip in hand, along with a leashed German Shepherd, and at a moment's notice would kick a woman to death or select her to be killed. She reportedly had a boyfriend in the camp, an SS officer, Edmund Bräuning. The two reportedly went on romantic walks around the camp to watch women being flogged, after which they would stroll away laughing. They lived together in a house outside the camp walls until late 1944, when Bräuning was transferred to Buchenwald concentration camp. Binz fled Ravensbrück during the death march, was captured on 3 May 1945 by the British in Hamburg and incarcerated in the Recklinghausen camp (formerly a Buchenwald subcamp). She was tried with SS personnel by a British court at the Ravensbrück War Crimes Trials. She was convicted of perpetrating war crimes, sentenced to death and subsequently hanged (by long-drop method) on the gallows at Hamelin prison by British executioner Albert Pierrepoint on 2 May 1947. Bron: Wikipedia.

Mewes, Margaretha. Bewaakster. Geboren 14. Februar 1914 in Fürstenberg/Havel; gestorben 12. Dezember 1998 in Soest, war Aufseherin im KZ Ravensbrück. Margarete Mewes war nach dem Besuch der Volksschule als Kindermädchen, Mitarbeiterin in einer Oberförsterei sowie einer Schokoladenfabrik beschäftigt. Sie wurde 1936 vom Fürstenberger Arbeitsamt zur Tätigkeit in die Munitionsfabrik Fürstensee dienstverpflichtet und war danach bis Juni 1939 bei der Deutschen Faserstoff GmbH tätig. Mewes, Mutter dreier Söhne, war Mitglied in der Deutschen Arbeitsfront (DAF). Nach ihrer betriebsbedingten Entlassung vermittelte sie das Arbeitsamt in das Frauen-Konzentrationslager Ravensbrück, wo sie ab Juli 1939 als Aufseherin und später Blockführerin tätig war. Zunächst lag ihre Tätigkeit mit zwei weiteren Aufseherinnen in der Beaufsichtigung weiblicher Häftlinge in Außenkommandos. Von Januar 1943 bis Juli 1943 war sie Aufseherin und danach, bis zur Auflösung des KZ Ravensbrück im April 1945, Leiterin im lagereigenen Zellenblock beziehungsweise Bunker. Nach ihrer kriegsbedingten Flucht vor der Roten Armee am 28. April 1945 lebte sie mit ihren Söhnen in Lauenburg. Dort wurde sie am 19. Juni 1945 festgenommen und in das britische Internierungslager Neumünster eingewiesen. Von dort wurde sie im November 1946 in die Untersuchungshaftanstalt Hamburg überstellt. Mewes musste sich für ihre im KZ Ravensbrück begangenen Taten vor einem britischen Militärgericht im ersten der sieben Ravensbrück-Prozesse verantworten. Als Entlastungszeugin sagte Isa Vermehren, ehemaliger Häftling im KZ Ravensbrück, für Mewes aus. Vermehren, die neun Monate im Bunker einsaß, schilderte Mewes als anständig und unbestechlich. Mewes selbst führte in ihrem Gnadengesuch am 17. Februar 1947 folgendes aus: „Ich habe keine Schuld. Für die Verbrechen der mir völlig gleichgültigen und verhassten SS kann ich, als dumme unbedeutende Person nicht verantwortlich gemacht werden.“ Am 3. Februar 1947 wurde Mewes zu zehn Jahren Haft verurteilt. Sie war zunächst im Strafgefängnis Fuhlsbüttel und ab Oktober 1948 in der Strafanstalt Werl inhaftiert. Mewes wurde bereits am 26. Februar 1952 wegen „guter Führung“ entlassen und zog zunächst in die Gegend von Hameln, später nach Körbecke, wo sie eine Beschäftigung als Serviererin fand. Sie heiratete im August 1968 und starb nach einem unauffälligen Leben Ende 1998. Bron: Wikipedia.

, Elisabeth. Bewaakster. Elisabeth Volkenrath, née Mühlau; Born 5 September 1919, died 13 December 1945, was a German supervisor at several Nazi concentration camps during World War II.
Volkenrath, was an ungelernte Hilfskraft (unskilled worker) when she volunteered for service in a concentration camp. She began in October 1941 at Ravensbrück concentration camp as a simple Aufseherin. In March 1942, she was sent to Auschwitz Birkenau where she worked in the same function as at Ravensbrück. At Auschwitz, she met SS-Rottenführer Heinz Volkenrath, who had worked there since 1941 as SS-Blockführer. The couple married in 1943. Elisabeth Volkenrath participated in the selection of prisoners for the gas chambers and, in November 1944, was promoted to Oberaufseherin for all camp sections for female prisoners at Auschwitz.
Elisabeth Volkenrath was transferred to Bergen-Belsen when Auschwitz was closed. From February 1945, she was Oberaufseherin (supervising wardress) at Bergen-Belsen. In April 1945, Volkenrath was arrested by the British Army, and was tried in the Belsen Trial at which she was convicted. Sentenced to death, she was executed by hanging at Hamelin prison by Albert Pierrepoint on 13 December 1945. Bron: Wikipedia.

Kaiser, Margot. Kapo. werd door een Russische militaire rechtbank in 1948 tot levenslange Tuchthuis straf verdoordeeld , werd in 1956 vervroegd vrijgelaten.

Ravensbrück Trial July 1948 Militärgericht der Garnison Berlin

1.) Herta Weidemann (or Gerda Weidmann) life imprisonment
2.) Erika Knippel life imprisonment
3.) Anna Koppla (or Kopka) life imprisonment
4.) Hertha Dähn life imprisonment
5.) Rosa Streile life imprisonment
6.) Andrea Ries life imprisonment
7.) Ilse Maaß life imprisonment
8.) Margarete Holzhüter life imprisonment
9.) Käte Engel life imprisonment
10.) Ilse Galkowski life imprisonment
11.) Maria Marwede life imprisonment
12.) Maria Rech life imprisonment
13.) Elfriede Sassnick life imprisonment
14.) Margot Kaiser life imprisonment
15.) Ursula Peter 25 years imprisonment
16.) Hilde Lübes25 years imprisonment
17) Helga Riechers 25 years imprisonment
18.) Erna Kube (or Kuby) 20 years imprisonment

Knoll, Käthe. Kapo.

Müssqueller, Philomena. Kapo. : WO 309/412. See report in this file dated 19 April 1947 from US investigators, saying that a Philomena Muesgueller, alias Mimi Heller, had been caught and - according to her statement - was an ‘oberkapo’ in several camps since 1939. At Ravensbrück she confessed to having been in charge of the punishment company and at Auschwitz she ran the ‘infamous Kommando Sauna’ (the clothing stores at the gas chambers). The notes say Jewish prisoners who had been at Auschwitz accused Müssgueller of torture and ‘causing death’. There are also notes about a possible extradition to the British sector to stand trial, but she was not apparently charged or tried. Inteviewed by German investigators in April 1965, she described herself as ‘a housewife’ living in Oberpfalz. She admitted to having been in Ravensbrück as a Stubova, saying she was ‘released’ in 1942, which was in fact when she was posted to Auschwitz. She says nothing about Auschwitz in this later interview and, not apparently pressed on the issue, was allowed to go home (BAL B162/9818).

Scharinger, Marianne. Kapo. Geboren am 3. März 1903 in Sierning (Oberösterreich)Verfolgungsgrund: Kriminell
Marianne wurde am 3. März 1903 in Sierning bei Steyr geboren. Sie besuchte fünf Klassen Volksschule und drei Klassen Hauptschule. Mit 19 Jahren heiratete sie und zog nach Wels. Ihr Mann Robert S. arbeitete bei der Eisenbahn, sie war Hausfrau. Robert hatte schon zwei uneheliche Kinder, für die er finanziell zu sorgen hatte. 1925 bekam Marianne S. einen Sohn. Zwischen 1928 und 1938 stand sie viermal vor Gericht, weil sie an anderen Frauen Abtreibungen durchgeführt hatte. Marianne gab an, aus finanzieller Not gehandelt zu haben. 1928 verurteilte sie das Kreisgericht Wels zu einer achtmonatigen Freiheitsstrafe. 1929 und 1933 erfolgten zwei weitere Verurteilungen wegen desselben Delikts zu je sechs Monaten schwerem Kerker. 1938 wendeten sich eine schwangere Magd und deren Freund, ein Knecht, über einen Dritten an Marianne. Bei der Abtreibung kam es zu Komplikationen. Die Magd musste in ein Spital eingeliefert werden. Der behandelnde Arzt zeigte daraufhin alle Beteiligten an. Damit stand Marianne zum vierten Mal vor Gericht. Die Verhandlung dauerte 20 Minuten. Alle Angeklagten wurden schuldig gesprochen. Das Paar erhielt eine Strafe auf Bewährung. Der Mittelsmann musste zwei Monate in Haft, Marianne für sechs Monate.Anstatt ins Gefängnis wurde sie am 16. Juli 1938 von der Welser Kriminalpolizei in das Frauen-KZ Lichtenburg eingewiesen. Als Kriminelle musste sie den Grünen Winkel tragen. Zur gleichen Zeit kam es zu einem Briefwechsel zwischen dem Welser Gericht und dem KZ Lichtenburg: Das Gericht bestand darauf, dass Marianne S. noch ihre sechsmonatige Haftstrafe absitzen müsse. Tatsächlich wurde sie im Winter 1938/39 in Gefängnishaft genommen, dann aber wieder ins KZ zurückgebracht. Nach der Schließung des Frauen KZ Lichtenburg kam sie mit den anderen noch in der Lichtenburg verbliebenen Frauen in das neu eröffnete KZ Ravensbrück. 1940 wurde sie Blockälteste in Block 10. Laut Angaben ihrer Mithäftlinge verhielt sie sich in dieser Position, in der sie eine gesamte Baracke unter sich hatte, sehr korrekt. 1942 gelangte Marianne an die Spitze der Häftlingshierarchie: sie wurde Lagerälteste. 1947 stand Marianne wieder vor Gericht. Diesmal musste sie sich wegen ihrer Tätigkeit als Funktionshäftling verantworten. Sie gab an, als Lagerälteste von früh bis spät in der Kanzlei der Lagerschreibstube beschäftigt gewesen zu sein. Als Blockälteste war sie gezwungen, für Ordnung unter den Häftlingen zu sorgen. Wenn Frauen Diebstähle begangen hatten, ohrfeigte sie diese. Eine Meldung an die SS - was für die Frauen lebensbedrohlich hätte sein können - unterließ sie aber. Zahlreiche Frauen, die mit Marianne inhaftiert waren, sagten zu ihren Gunsten aus. Sie soll sogar den politischen Widerstand im Lager unterstützt haben. Die Anklage wurde fallengelassen. Die Frau, welche Marianne angezeigt hatte, bezeichnete der Richter als „notorische Lügnerin“.
1948 bat sie um die Tilgung ihrer Vorstrafen, da sie ihrer Meinung nach für diese mit einer sechsjährigen KZ Haft genug gebüßt habe und ihr Sohn aufgrund der Vorstrafen der Mutter seine Arbeit verlor. Ihr Antrag wurde abgelehnt. Am 27. Mai 1988 verstarb Marianne in Salzburg. Bron: Wikipedia.

Krug, Else, Kapo. Vermoord door vergassing in Bernburg.

Kantschuster, Johan. SS, bewaker. Geboren in Beuerberg, 20 mei 1897 - vermist na 1945, behoorde tot de SS en was plaatsvervangend kampcommandant in het Fort van Breendonk. Een eerste arrestatiebevel werd tegen hem uitgevaardigd in 1952 door het Duitse gerecht wegens moord, maar doordat hij onvindbaar blijft werd het onderzoek gestaakt in 1982. Johann Kantschuster werd geboren in een bescheiden Beiers gezin. Hij heeft maar korte tijd school gelopen. Hij werkte reeds als hulparbeid op een boerderij op zijn dertiende. In 1916, gedurende de Eerste Wereldoorlog werd hij ingelijfd in het leger en werd verwond aan zijn linkerhand in Roemenië in juni 1918.
Na de oorlog werkte hij opnieuw als arbeider en werd lid van Freikorps Wolf. Hij sloot zich aan bij de nazipartij NSDAP in 1928, toen nog een kleine partij, en nog in hetzelfde jaar bij de SS. Toen reeds had hij gewelddadige neigingen want hij kreeg van de rechtbank een geldboete wegens geweldpleging.
In maart 1933 werd hij aangesteld als kampwacht in het eerste naziconcentratiekamp Dachau, bij München.
Op 24 mei 1933 schoot hij een Duitse advocaat dood wegens ‘ontsnappingspoging’. Het Duitse gerecht vaardigde een aanhoudingsbevel tegen hem uit maar dit werd aan de kant geschoven door de politie.
Op 1 september 1938 was hij reeds bevorderd tot SS-Obersturmführer. Maar van dan af ging het bergafwaarts met hem. Hij werd een zware alcoholicus en veroorzaakte problemen in het concentratiekamp. Dit leidde tot zijn overplaatsing naar het concentratiekamp Ravensbrück. Hij kwam er ten val in zwaar beschonken toestand en liep een hersenschudding op die hem nog lange tijd problemen zou berokkenen. Doordat hij zich brutaal gedroeg tegenover de vrouwen in het kamp, werd hij opnieuw overgeplaatst, ditmaal naar het concentratiekamp Mauthausen. Na problemen in de kantine aldaar, waarbij hij zijn pistool trok tegen zijn collega's, werd hij onderworpen aan een neurologisch en psychiatrisch onderzoek. Hij werd hierbij “niet meer volledig toerekeningsvatbaar” verklaard. Men gaf hem nog een laatste kans in het concentratiekamp Sachsenhausen. Maar door zijn overmatig drankmisbruik ging zijn fysieke toestand achteruit en de dokters verklaarden hem fysiek ongeschikt voor de Waffen-SS. De inspecteur van de concentratiekampen verklaarde op 24 januari 1941 “dat hij een nietsnut was, van wie men blij moest zijn hem kwijt te raken”. Er is even geen spoor meer van hem in officiële documenten tot hij in september 1942 opduikt in het Auffanglager Breendonk. Hij verbleef er zeven tot acht maanden. Spoedig werd hij aldaar de meest gevreesde SS’er. Hij is duidelijk een psychiatrisch geval. Hij loopt dronken rond van 's morgens tot 's avonds terwijl hij de gevangenen terroriseert. In de ziekenzaal is al het personeel bang van hem en moeten zich harder opstellen tegenover de zieken. Kort na zijn aankomst schoot hij de Poolse jood Oscar Beck neer op de werf. Op een andere nacht, toen een gevangene halfgek werd in zijn isolatiecel, schoot Kantschuster dwars door de celdeur. Gelukkig heeft deze gevangene zijn verwondingen overleefd. Hij gaf ook het genadeschot een voor een aan de geëxecuteerden voor het vuurpeloton. Hij hield ervan de gevangenen fysiek te mishandelen, liefst met zijn bullenpees. Op een bepaald moment kwam zelfs Ilse Birkholz, de vrouw van de kampcommandant Philipp Schmitt tussenbeide om een gevangene tegen zijn brutaliteiten te beschermen. Kort daarop, in april 1943, werd Kantschuster opnieuw overgeplaatst. Gedurende zijn verblijf in het kamp zijn er de meeste doden gevallen, nl. ten minste veertig geïdentificeerde slachtoffers. Slechts in de laatste bezettingsmaand zouden er nog zoveel slachtoffers vallen. Kantschuster leeft voort in de herinneringen van de slachtoffers van Breendonk als een even grote beul als Philipp Schmitt, Arthur Prauss, Fernand Wyss en Richard De Bodt. Daarna is men zijn spoor kwijt. Zijn vrouw zou na de oorlog beweren dat hij in Berlijn-Lichterfeld en daarna Weimar-Berlstedt gekazerneerd was in februari, maart of juli 1945. Zij meldt hem als vermist bij het Rode Kruis. Daarna is zowel het Belgisch als het Duits gerecht tevergeefs op zoek naar hem, wegens veelvuldige moorden, niet alleen in Breendonk, maar ook in Dachau, Mauthausen en Ravensbrück. Er gaan verschillende versies de ronde (opgenomen in het vreemdelingenlegioen, terechtstelling in Dachau of ondergedoken onder een valse naam). In 1982 werd het onderzoek naar hem definitief gestaakt omdat men van oordeel was dat hij toen niet meer in leven was. Bron: Wikipedia.
Ravensbrück, de daders.

Verder naar pagina-2
(Ravensbrück,the perpetrators)