RVPS 22-04-1944


Nationality: Dutch.
Born: 14-09-1919, Koudekerke.
Occupation: Post Office clerk.
Religion: Seventh Day Adventist.
Politics: Nil.
Languages: Dutch, some English, French and Spanish, German.
Father: Arnold Levinus Faber, aged 54, assistant PTT, Geuzenkade 60, Amsterdam.
Step-Mother: Bontje, nee FELTMAN, aged 47, with husband.
Brother: Gilles Faber, aged 30, minister of religion, Schoolstraat, Huizum (by Leeuwarden).
Sister: Catharina Jeanne Wilhelmina Faber, aged 32, married to Nicolaas WORTMAN, aged 33, Accounttant,
          Social Zaken, Kruisbessenstraat 23, The Hague.
Sister Jeanne Wilhelmina Catharina, aged 29, living with sister.
Fiancee: Anne-Marie WEIDNER, nurse, Columbusstraat 13, The Hague.
Uncle: Cornelis DRABER, baker, Detroit, USA.
Last permanent Address: 8 Quai Eustache Chappuis, Annecy, France.

Dutch Passport No. A.33527, dated 09-12-1943, Madrid, with endorsement 24-01-44 to Surinam.
Recepisse, No. 0079, dated 20-07-1943, Annecy.
Vaccination Certificate, 27-02-1944, Gibraltar.

Date & Port of Embarcation: Gibraltar.
Date & Port of Arrival: 16-03-1944, Liverpool ex "ORDUNA"
Arrival at L.R.C. 18-04-1944.


FABER attended school in Middelburg until 1934, then worked with his brother selling fried potato chips in Apeldoorn, and in 1935 went to Commercial School in Middelburg which he completed in 1939.

His friends were: [redacted under FOI Exemption S40(2) Closed until 2025]

Having completed his school he went to work for a poultry dealer, BEERTEMA of Garst 101, Winschoten (
Harm Beertema, born 15-09-1882, Scheemda) and in July went to work for BEERTSMA's son-in-law, Daniel BRINKMAN, Bovenbuuren Eerste Laan, Winschoten (DaniŽl Jan Brinkman, born 22-05-1915, windowdresser, married 04-02-1936 Winschoten, Jantje Beertema born 12-01-1913), as window dresser. He stated that for some reason unknown to him he was not called up for military service.

In November, there being no more work for him as a window dresser, he returned to his parents in Amsterdam where he spent three months unemployed.

In March 1940, he went to live with his sister who was then in Drachten and began his preparations to be a minister in his church. During his spare time he sold tombstones for someone, name unknown in Sneek.

He was in Drachten during the invasion of Holland and after the armistice went to his uncle, Jan KERKVOORT, a carpenter mason, Hoogstraat, Middelburg, to help him in making repairs of damage caused by invasion. he worked here three weeks, then returned to Drachten and again took up selling tombstones. In December he returned to Amsterdam and was again unemployed for three weeks.

He says that he often thought of leaving Holland but his father discouraged him and he actually never completed plans for leaving.

At the end of December, he went to the home of his brother then living at Woldrickshoekweg 64, Enschede where he worked cleaning windows and selling sewing machines.

In may 1941, he moved to Apeldoorn again to clean windows, and in July returned to BRINKMAN in Winschoten. BRINKMAN could provide him with no employment and he began making toys.

In October, te returned to Amsterdam to his home and received his call up to work in Germany. he went to Germany and again cleaned windows for Hans CLAUSS, Chemnitz (Saxony). In early May 1942, he was released and went to work for the PTT Central Station, Amsterdam as personal clerk and in August began a course which would prepare him for office work. In January 1943, he completed this course and was placed in the PTT office, Haarlemmerdijk first as assistant and later assuming full responsibility.

He states that he spoke to one Suzy KRAAY in Amsterdam who was in contact with WEIDNER (Suzy KRAAY is likely identical with Mlle. SUZY in our records and WEIDNER is known to us).

SUZY said that she would be able to help him and provide him with French identity papers, but just before he left Holland she was arrested in France by the French Police.

[redacted] he obtained the address of her uncle [redacted] in Antwerp and on the 4th July he took the train to Breda and walked to his uncle, Pieter FABER in Galder. He had a total of Fl.300,- 100 of which he had borrowed from [redacted] and 200 of which he exchanged with his uncle for German money.

The following day, his uncle too him to [redacted] the wife of a Marechaussee, whose husband is now in England and who lived on the Belgian border. She took him over the border into a shop where she obtained some Belgian money for him. He left his Dutch identity papers with her to be returned to his uncle.

Following this he took the bus and the tram to Antwerp to WIBBERS where he spent one night, exchanged Fl.10,- for Belgian money, and proceeded by train to Brussels. here he went to the office of the head of the Belgian Seventh Day Adventist who provided him with sleeping accommodation. He borrowed Fr. 500,- from this man and enquired of him regarding the easiest place to cross the border into France. He was told that this could best be accomplished at Mouscron, neat Tourcoing.

On the 7th July, he took the train from Brussels to the border where he made discreet enquiries relating crossing the border and was taken past the custom by a woman who apparently knew the policeman and they crossed the border without difficulty. She went with him by train to her sister in Lille.

At the station he noticed two priests with a number of students. He spoke to one of the priests and went with this group to Paris.

Here he went to see [redacted], Gabrielle WEIDNER, Boulevard de l' Hospital 130. She spoke to a girlfriend regarding possibilities of taking FABER to Spain. This girlfriend was active in underground work, but told them that her route was reserved for Allied pilots. Gabrielle WEIDNER therefore wrote to [redacted] and told him that FABER was in Paris and asked for his assistance. He left all his money with Gabrielle WEIDNER which she in turn was to forward to [redacted].

On the 15th July, a messenger from WEIDNER, named "PIERRE" came for him, completed a false identity card for him, and took him by train to Annecy to WEIDNER. They experienced no control on this train and he says they crossed the demarcation line at Dijon.

WEIDNER had a number of blanc Dutch passports which he had obtained in Berne. He provided FABER with one of these, then took him to the local police commissioner and got a "Recepisee" in order that he might obtain food coupons and so to speak live legally in Annecy. He lived with WEIDNER for approximately 2½ months during which time he familiarised himself with the French language and also helped WEIDNER in aiding Dutch escapees.

He states that among Dutchmen whom he has helped were:

Frans DE GROOT (RPS 19.634)

On approximately the 18th September, WEIDNER received a telephone call from CLEFF (known) of the BUREAU NEDERLANDAIS at Lyon who informed him that his chief JACQUIN (known) had been arrested by the Gestapo and advised WEIDNER to be careful. (JACQUIN was later released).

They immediately set about clearing their office of incriminating documents and on about the 22nd September, WEIDNER went with NAEFF to Switzerland. WEIDNER appeared extremely nervous and his plan was to rest in Switzerland for a short time, then return to Annecy and go with FABER to Spain. he had obtained previously Fr.12.000,- from WEIDNER.

While in Annecy, he wrote a few letters under the name of Jean WEISSLER.

However, he was warned by the secretary of the local Prefecture who lived at Rue du Lac that the Gestapo was coming to Annecy, and she advised him to leave immediately.

[redacted] (who is favourably known in our records) he received the address of relatives who were living at Castel Murville where FABER was later to meet him and they were to go together to Spain.

In Annecy he also met a Frenchman named [redacted] of Nice whose mother [redacted] Carpendu. This Frenchman had received a message from AARTS (known) saying that there should be no people sent to him because his route appeared to be no longer safe. FABER sent this message on to WEIDNER to Switzerland.

On the 24th September, he took the train to Murville, stayed one night, met the [redacted] and the next day proceeded to Toulouse where they met AARTS and [redacted] (known). they were told that there was a convoy prepared to leave for Spain, but because they were close friends of WEIDNER they were advised to wait and a safer route would be provided for them.

FABER, the [redacted] and DEI RUE went to Capendu where he remained for three weeks approximately on about the 29th September, DEI RUE took the train to the Spanish border and arrived safely. On the 7th October, the other two men were supposed to go but as there was only a single passage for one man disguised as a train conductor, the [redacted] went.

FABER had exhanged Fr.3000,- with Mrs. VAN WYME for 200 Spanish pesetas.

He was little a doubtful as to the reliability of this route in spite of the fact that two had already taken the route without difficulty.

In [redacted] in Foix he heard from the [redacted] owner, name unknown, who was a friend of [redacted] that a convoy was ready to go on foot to the Spanish border and he was told that if he would like to join them he should be in Foix on the evening of the 5th October. He returned to AARTS and told him of his plans.

He was asked to inform when he was going because there were too other Dutchmen, VAN ZWEEDEN (RPS 20.086) and VAN DER POLL (RPS 19.961) who were living at HOTEL PANNIER FLEURIE, and were desirous of going to Spain. He spoke to these two men and on the 9th October took them to Foix to the [redacted] where they met four Spanish guides whom they paid Fr. 4000,0 each. They were taken by one guide along with a Frenchman and another man, they were later joined by a second guide with six American pilots, including [redacted] and WEATHERFORD.

They walked to a small house where they had a meal and met a member of French, English, Canadian and Australian pilots and together walked into Andorra without any difficulty whatever. FABER states that this was apparently an English or American route: the journey took several days.

They came to a farm in Andorra where they slept in the hay, and on the 15th October, with three Spanish guides and the other pilots, they walked to a town near Nanrose and from there took the train to the British Consulate in Barcelona, who sent FABER to Mr. KRIS?? (known) of the Dutch Consulate.

He was taken to the police and given lodging in HOTEL ???. here he contacted Jose Boix CONZALVEZ, General Sanjurjo 11, Barcelona and the following Dutchmen:

SANDERS (RPS 19.921)

On the 8th December he was taken by the police to the Seguridad in Madrid and the next day released by Mr. DAVIDS (known) of the Dutch Embassy and lodged in HOTEL MORA, Madrid.

In Madrid he became quite friendly with Mary DEL CARMEN-HUNTER, Calle Blancode Geray 7. He also met Johnny HANT (RPS 19.965) and [redacted] (whom he thinks was later retuned to France to assist further underground work.

On the 31st January, he left Madrid for Gibraltar via Villa Real. On the 9th March he left Gibraltar and arrived in the UK the 16-03-1944.


FABER left school in 1939 and finding it difficult to obtain suitable employment was reduced to odd jobs such as cleaning windows, selling tombstones and sewing machines. He spent from October 1941 to May 1942 cleaning windows in Germany (forced labour) then returned to work for the PTT in Amsterdam. He often thought of leaving Holland, but his father discouraged him.

From [redacted] who is well known to us, he obtained the address of [redacted] in Antwerp and on 04-07-1942 he left Holland with Fl.300,- of which he had borrowed Fl.100,- from his fiancee. He made his contact in Antwerp, contacted the head of Belgian Seventh Day Adventists; in Paris met his [redacted] Gabrielle WEIDNER, who put him in contact with JEAN WEITNER.

FABER worked with WEIDNER, aiding escapees, from the 15th July until the 24th September, then proceeded to AARTS in Toulouse who helped him to Andorra and with Allied pilots to Barcelona. He spent an equal amount of time in Barcelona and Madrid.

His story agrees with that which he gave at Gibraltar (copy in his file).


FABER seemed honest and straightforward in his response to questions asked and did not appear to be wilfully withholding any information. His personal history in Holland, while possibly not illustrious, seems honourable and his being almost related to [redacted] and his having worked with WEIDNER are in his favour. He does not appear extremely intelligent, but presents no security problem.


That, after look-ups prove favourable he be released to the Dutch authorities.

                                                                                                               H. DE Groot,
                                                                                                               Attached to the LRC

Op 2 oktober 2009 overleed in Vernon BC, Canada, op 90-jarige leeftijd Lykele Faber. Faber werd geboren op 14 september 1919 in het Zeeuwse Koudekerke. Na opleidingen aan de MULO en de Handelsdagschool in Middelburg te hebben gevolgd werkte hij vanaf 1939 in diverse beroepen in verschillende plaatsen in Nederland. Toen hij in Amsterdam verbleef werd hij in november 1941 verplicht om in Chemnitz te gaan werken als glazenwasser. In mei 1942 keerde hij weer terug naar Amsterdam waar hij te werk werd gesteld bij de P.T.T.; hij werd na een opleiding loketambtenaar bij het postkantoor aan de Haarlemmerdijk. Zijn toenmalige religieuze overtuiging - Faber was Zevendedags Adventist - bracht hem in Amsterdam in contact met Annette Weidner, zus van de bekende Jean Weidner van de Dutch-Paris lijn. Faber verloofde zich met haar op 12 maart 1943. Via Annette maakte hij kennis met Suzy Kraaij, een medewerkster van de Dutch-Paris lijn die met een zekere regelmaat pendelde tussen Nederland en Frankrijk. Omdat Faber graag naar Engeland wilde gaf Suzy Kraaij hem al enige informatie en beloofde zij hem naar Frankrijk te begeleiden nadat zij van haar eerstkomende reis naar Parijs teruggekeerd zou zijn. Suzy Kraaij werd echter tijdens haar verblijf in Frankrijk in juni
1943 gearresteerd in de omgeving van Pau, en daarom vertrok Faber op 10 juli 1943 maar op eigen houtje naar Frankrijk. Via een oom die in Galder bij de Nederlands-Belgische grens woonde, via Antwerpen, Brussel en Moeskroen reisde hij naar Parijs. Daar verbleef hij een week bij Gabrielle Weidner, een zus van Annette en Jean; vervolgens werd hij op 23 juli overgebracht naar Annecy, naar het huis waar Jean Weidner een filiaal had van zijn textielzaak te Lyon. Faber verbleef gedurende die zomer in Annecy. Op verzoek van Jean Weidner zette hij zich in voor diens organisatie door als koerier op te treden en personen op te vangen en hen te begeleiden. In een verslag noemde Faber in dit verband ook de naam van Jan de Hartog, de schrijver van het in die tijd zeer bekende boek 'Hollands Glorie'.

Op 6 september 1943 werd Maurice Jacquet, de vroegere directeur van het Office Neerlandais in Lyon en ook medewerker op de Dutch-Paris lijn, thuis door de S.D. gearresteerd. Hij was verraden. En hoewel Jacquet al op
8 september weer werd vrijgelaten, vonden Jean Weidner en ook P.C. Naeff (eerder medewerker van Kolkman in Perpignan en op dat moment werkzaam bij de opvolger van het Office Neerlandais in Lyon, het Bureau d'Administration des Neerlandais) dat ze een tijdje moesten verdwijnen. Beiden vertrokken naar Zwitserland, Naeff arriveerde daar via St. Julien op 17 september 1943. Het onderduiken van Jean Weidner was voor Lykele Faber het sein om Annecy te verlaten en verder te gaan richting Engeland.

Op 10 oktober 1943 kwam hij via Toulouse en Andorra in Spanje aan met een convooi Fransen, geallieerde piloten en enkele Nederlanders. Hij bereikte Barcelona op 18 oktober 1943 en na zeven weken residence forcee in die stad mocht hij vertrekken naar Madrid. Een van zijn metgezellen, de Canadese piloot George Thomas GRAHAM J/14729 (
Lost Date: 17 Sep 43 Aircraft: Halifax II LW240, Unit 419 Sqdn. Crash Location , France),  die vanuit Barcelona meteen had mogen doorreizen, had Faber beloofd een goed woordje voor hem te doen in Engeland. Graham meldde zich na aankomst in Engeland op de Nederlandse Ambassade op 1 november 1943 en hield zijn belofte gestand. Als bewijs legde hij een pasfoto van "Lee Faber" over. Of het veel heeft geholpen? Op die datum bevond Faber zich nog steeds in Barcelona. Op 31 januari 1944 vertrok Faber naar Gibraltar waar hij op 9 maart werd ingescheept naar Liverpool en hij arriveerde daar op 16 maart 1944.

In Londen volgden de gebruikelijke ondervragingen in de Patriottic School en vervolgens bij Oreste Pinto van de Politie Buitendienst; Faber kon nog informatie verschaffen over diverse Duitse militaire installaties en versterkingen op Walcheren in Zeeland. Hierna werd hij opgeleid tot geheimagent om later in Nederland geparachuteerd te worden. Na afloop van een training in Schotland oordeelde een van zijn Engelse superieuren onder meer: "He is very quiet, in fact the quietest of the whole party, and his security should, therefore, be good, as a W/T operator to an efficient organiser in the Field, I believe he will do very well".

Deze karakterisering van Faber als een rustige, kalme man wordt bevestigd door een van zijn toenmalige collega's en oude vriend M. Cieremans: "Lee, zoals wij hem noemden, was een sympathiek, ietwat teruggetrokken jongeman. Ook na de bevrijding trad hij nooit op de voorgrond en als hij beslist iets gedaan wilde hebben dan regelde hij dat op zijn schijnbaar naieve maar slim-brutale manier".

Sergeant Faber, alias Lodewijk Fokker, werd door de leiding van het Bureau Bijzondere Opdrachten (BBO) als radiotelegrafist geplaatst bij een zogenaamd Jedburgh team en ingezet bij opera tie Market Garden. Jedburgh teams werden geparachuteerd achter de vijandelijke linies om contact te maken met lokale verzetsgroepen en om met hen aan de vijand zoveel mogelijk afbreuk te doen bij het oprukken van de geallieerde troepen. Een team bestond meestal uit drie man, waarvan tenminste een de taal machtig was van het land waarin geopereerd werd. Faber -hoewel niet speciaal getraind als 'Jed'- werd met zijn team ( codenaam Daniel II) op 17 september 1944 in de buurt van Son geparachuteerd. Het team had als taak om generaal Taylor te adviseren betreffende verzetsmogelijkheden, te assisteren bij divisie operaties en om de acties van lokale verzetsgroepen te coordineren. Omdat de
zendapparatuur na de landing niet werd teruggevonden, was rechtstreeks contact met het hoofdkwartier van Special Forces bij SHAEF niet mogelijk. Als radiotelegrafist was Faber derhalve werkeloos. Alle berichten aan het hoofdkwartier werden verzonden via een ander Jedburgh team dat in dezelfde streek opereerde. Team Daniel II was verder veel tijd kwijt aan het slechten van ruzies tussen elkaar beconcurrerende verzetsgroepen in de buurt van Uden, de bewaking van
Duitse krijgsgevangenen en in het algemeen de assistentie bij de gevechten tegen de Duitsers. Het Team werd op 27 september 1944 vanuit Brussel weer teruggevlogen naar Engeland. Een Amerikaanse studie uit 1990 over de inzet van alle acht Jedburgh teams bij Market Garden oordeelde dat het nut van deze teams waarschijnlijk aanzienlijk groter zou zijn geweest wanneer zij veel eerder in hun operatiegebied zouden zijn geparachuteerd.

Lykele Faber werd na zijn terugkeer op zijn thuisbasis op 21 oktober 1944 in Londen door de generaal J.W. van Oorschot van het BBO beedigd als reserve tweede luitenant. Hij bereidde toen reeds zijn tweede missie naar Nederland voor. In diezelfde tijd bracht hij op haar verzoek ook verslag uit aan koningin Wilhelmina over zijn ervaringen in de buurt van Son; prinses Juliana was bij dit gesprek eveneens aanwezig. In de nacht van 31 oktober op 1 november 1944 werd Faber met Peter Tazelaar gedropt bij het Friese dorpje Haskerhorne, niet ver van Heerenveen. Zij hadden met name tot taak om afwerpterreinen voor wapens te organiseren en instructies te verzorgen. Daar kregen ze het behoorlijk druk mee. Faber en Tazelaar kregen onverwachts hulp van Alf Springate, een ervaren radiotelegrafist die zich met de overige bemanningsleden van een neergeschoten bommenwerper schuilhield in Friesland. Uit veiligheidsoverwegingen splitsten de twee marconisten/zenders zich, zodat bij een eventuele arrestatie van de een de ander gewoon door kon gaan met zijn werk. Want met de groei van de verzetsactiviteiten, sabotageacties en droppings van wapens namen ook de Duitse pogingen toe om aan deze activiteiten een einde te maken. De Duitsers kregen bovendien versterking van SD-ers die uit het reeds bevrijde zuiden en uit Belgie verjaagd waren. Razzia's en klopjachten kwamen regelmatig voor. Veel arrestaties waren het gevolg. Het betekende tevens dat Faber, Tazelaar en Springate continu op hun hoede moesten zijn. Diverse keren konden ze op het nippertje aan arrestatie ontsnappen. Ze verhuisden van hooiberg naar vakantiehuisje naar hooiberg en verbleven ook op een boot die aan de rand van een meertje in het riet verborgen lag totdat ook dat schip door de Duitsers was ontdekt. Maar ook hier konden ze net op tijd de dans ontspringen. Het bootje werd door de Duitsers tot zinken gebracht en pas vele jaren later weer gelicht. Op de website van het Verzetsmuseum in Leeuwarden staat thans een foto van de zender van Lykele Faber die eveneens weer boven water is gekomen en nu een plaats in het museum heeft gekregen. De laatste dagen voor de bevrijding zaten Faber, Springate en Tazelaar ieder aan een kant van Heerenveen verborgen in een boerderij. Rond de 14e april 1945 werd die streek door de Canadezen bevrijd.

Nadat Faber via Breda waar prins Bernhard zijn kampement had opgeslagen teruggekeerd was in Londen, vernam hij dat hij tezamen met onder andere Peter Tazelaar en Pieter de Vos was benoemd tot reserve eerste luitenant. Faber keerde voor een korte tijd weer terug naar Nederland, ook voor verlof, en meldde zich op 17 juli terug in Engeland. Vandaar vertrok hij onverwacht op 6 september 1945 met een aantal collega's van het BBO en het Bureau Inlichtingen (BI) richting NederlandsIndie. Voorlopig eindstation bleek Ceylon/Sri Lanka te zijn. Al eerder in de oorlog met Japan werden er met een zekere regelmaat parties in Nederlands-Indie afgezet, eerst vanuit Australie via de Nederlandse NEFIS-III organisatie. Later gebeurde dat ook vanuit Colombo via de daar opgerichte Engelse organisatie Force 136, de alias
van SOE in Ceylon/Sri Lanka. Onder Force 136 ressorteerde de Anglo-Dutch Country Section (ADCS). Als hoofd van ADCS trad sedert maart 1945 de Nederlandse kapitein-luitenant ter zee C.J. Wingender op. Deze gemeenschappelijke Engels-Nederlandse groep had met name Sumatra als operatieterrein. Daar werden in 1945 diverse parties afgezet, met name om meer informatie te verkrijgen over de bewegingen der Japanse strijdkrachten en ook over de Japanse krijgsgevangenkampen. De hogere legerleiding in die regio wilde personeel van ADCS gebruiken om de flanken te dekken van de geallieerde legers wanneer die zouden oprukken richting Singapore en Maleisie.

Na de plotselinge capitulatie van de Japanners op 15 augustus 1945 volgden de gebeurtenissen elkaar snel op. De Engelsen bleken behoefte te hebben aan een groep goed getrainde te parachuteren militairen, officieren, radiotelegrafisten en anderen die in kleine groepjes moeilijke situaties zouden kunnen oplossen in afgelegen gebieden van Nederlands-Indie die nog bezet moesten gaan warden. In een vergadering met generaal-majoor C. Gubbins van SOE en prins Bernhard op 14 augustus 1945 te Landen werd besloten tot de uitzending van BBO personeel in wat toen ook wel de 'BBO-Indie Missie' werd genoemd. Prins Bernhard deelde in die vergadering mee bijna onmiddellijk 40 tot 50 man personeel te kunnen leveren dat aan die eisen voldeed. De volgende dag werden door admiraal Helfrich, Colin Mackenzie, commandant van Force 136, en nog enkele andere Britse officieren de puntjes op de i gezet. De 16e augustus werd een officieel verzoek om zo'n groep militairen te leveren bij de Nederlandse militaire autoriteiten ingediend. Deze groep militairen zou zijn basis krijgen in Ceylon/SriLanka en komen te werken onder het commando van Force 136 en
gevoegd warden bij ADCS. De uit te zenden teams moesten voorzien in de grote behoefte aan informatie, de gevangenkampen lokaliseren, en in het algemeen de orde en rust onder de verschillende bevolkingsgroepen de Japanse bezetters zien te bewaren. Deze teams zouden bestaan uit Nederlands- en Engels sprekende officieren, een radiotelegrafist en nog twee militairen; een van deze militairen moest de Maleise taal machtig zijn.

Wingender zelf was in die tijd, onafhankelijk van wat in Londen besproken werd, ook reeds actief bezig om dergelijke teams in Ceylon samen te stellen. In Londen werden als gevolg van de vergadering van prins Bernhard en generaal-majoor Gubbins vrijwilligers geworven onder het personeel van BBO en BI om naar Nederlands-Indie te vertrekken. Zo arriveerden in september 1945 vanuit Landen in Ceylon de BBO en BI mensen, waaronder Lykele Faber, P. de Vos, L.G. Mulholland en M. Cieremans en nog diverse anderen. Teamleider van deze groep BBOers was de Nederlandse reserve-majoor C.J.L. Ruys van Dugteren, in het burgerleven een boer uit Noord-Transvaal in Zuid-Afrika die nog in april 1945 als lid van een Jedburgh team in Drenthe was gedropt. Zij hadden allen in Landen vrijwillig een apart en nieuw arbeidscontract voor deze Indie-missie getekend. Hierin werd vermeld dat het BBOpersoneel deze missie in BBO-verband en -opdracht uitvoerden en dat zij bleven ressorteren onder het Hoofd BBO en voor de operatieve opdrachten onder commando van Supreme Commander South East Asia Command. Hun taakomschrijving luidde: "De officieren-organisers hebben tot taak het geallieerd Oppercommando in het Verre Oosten zoo volledig mogelijk op de hoogte te brengen en te houden van de bewegingen en gedragingen der Japanners, de urgente behoeften en belangen der aldaar aanwezige blanke Nederlandsche onderdanen en vreemdelingen, alsmede die der Inheemsche bevolking. Zij zijn bevoegd, na ruggespraak met het 'Homestation', maatregelen te treffen ten aanzien van de behartiging van bovengenoemde behoeften en het bestrijden van Japansch verzet". Aan de BBO-ers werd in het contract toegezegd dat hen later de keus zou warden gelaten om naar EBO-Nederland terug te keren of om in Indie te blijven in een civiele of militaire functie. Dit arbeidscontract zou hen later nog te stade komen. Zij kwamen allen onder de verantwoordelijkheid van ADCS (C.J. Wingender) dat -zoals eerder opgemerkt- weer viel onder Force 136. Deze marine-officier toonde zich niet zo tevreden over de groep BBO-ers en hun aparte contracten. In zijn reguliere verslag van 6 oktober 1945 aan de Bevelhebber der Strijdkrachten Oost merkte hij op: "De jongelui van deze ploeg zijn vol energie en vreemde begrippen, terwijl zij in hooge mate lijden aan zelf overschatting". En over hun contract: "Hoewel er vele punten in dit contract zijn, en ook in de wijze van uitzending van dit personeel, waarmede ik mij feitelijk niet vereenigen kan, heb ik gemeend, dat er belangrijker zaken af te doen zijn, dan deze". Hij moest het er maar mee doen, realiseerde Wingender zich.

Cieremans: "De meeste agenten waren hier militair gezien al helemaal niet geschikt voor, ze waren bovendien oorlogsmoe, hun gelederen waren ernstig uitgedund, ze kenden elkaar niet persoonlijk, maar de klus moest geklaard warden. Ze kregen het recht zich tijdens de operatie uit te dossen in het uniform van opperofficier - om de Japanner te 'outranken'. Zo nam ook Lykele toch na de bevrijding van Nederland met een zucht de strijdbijl weer op om het karwei in het Aziatische deel van Nederland af te maken. Verdriet en vrees van ouders en familieleden ten spijt. Zijn derde missie achter de linies". In Ceylon werd aangevangen met trainingen en met de samenstelling der teams. Daadwerkelijk werden de eerste drie teams uitgezonden naar Java en Sumatra; Pieter de Vos behoorde bijvoorbeeld tot een van deze teams. Faber was ingedeeld in een van de teams die nog uitgezonden moesten warden. Vervolgens stopte in oktober 1945 de uitzending der teams. Zij werden als het ware slachtoffer van een aantal snel opeenvolgende gebeurtenissen. Het Amerikaanse opperbevel over de strijdkrachten in het territoir van Nederlands-Indie werd overgedragen aan de Britten. Opperbevelhebber van de Britse troepen was Lord Louis Mountbatten. De Britten, die voor hun taak in Nederlands-Indie
te weinig troepen beschikbaar hadden, werden meteen geconfronteerd met de gewelddadige gevolgen van de Indonesische onafhankelijkheidsstrijd. Hierop beval de Britse commandant op Java om de Nederlandse ADCS parties terug te trekken uit Sumatra (en later ook uit Java) en bovendien geen nieuwe Nederlandse groepen uit te zenden met het argument dat de Nederlandse militairen geen kans van slagen zouden hebben door de slechte verhouding tussen de
N ederlanders en de Indonesiers. Er mochten alleen nog Britse groepen uitgezonden worden waarbij Nederlandse officieren als tolk konden functioneren. Bijna tegelijkertijd werd bekend dat Force 136 eind november 1945
zou warden opgeheven; daarmee kwam ook ADCS in de lucht te hangen. Het ADCS personeel dat betaald werd via de geheime SOE fondsen zou overgenomen moeten warden door een reguliere Britse legerorganisatie. In oktober en november 1945 werden hierover de nodige besprekingen gevoerd tussen Britten en Nederlanders.

Ondertussen konden Lykele Faber en zijn collega's niets anders doen dan wachten. Engelandvaarder en geheim agent Len Mulholland schrijft in zijn memoires hoe de verveling onder de Nederlanders toesloeg en hoe hij voor de verandering met zo'n 10 personen in de omgeving een patrouille ondernam gedurende een dag of tien. Ook Faber maakte deel uit van deze groep. Vis werd gevangen door een handgranaat in een rivier te gooien en te laten ontploffen; zij werden verder geconfronteerd met een krokodil in een rivier waarin ze aan het zwemmen waren, en met een tijger die ze 's avonds in het donker tegenkwamen. Iedereen overleefde deze tropische gevaren.

De verontwaardiging onder de BBO-ers over het wachten was groot: "Ondanks het feit, dat onze landgenooten op genoemde eilanden uitgemoord worden, zullen wij worden gebruikt om de Engelschen van inlichtingen te voorzien over onze Buitengewesten. Elke party krijgt wel een Engelsche vlag mee, maar geen Nederlandsche! Wij hadden onze tijd dus wel beter kunnen gebruiken, dan hier op Ceylon in kampen rand te hangen, waarbij het grootste gedeelte van den dag wordt doorgebracht met niets-doen", schreef een der deelnemers aan BBO chef Kas de Graaf die deze brief begin november 1945 weer doorstuurde aan prins Bernhard. Wat volgde was een gevecht tussen de groep BBO-ers en Wingender: De BBO-ers wilden terug naar huis, want ze waren niet gekomen om slechts als tolk te functioneren. Wingerder weigerde hen te laten gaan: hij meende dat de groep nog wel elders voor andere taken ingezet kon worden. Wingender weigerde het in de arbeidscontracten beloofde recht op demobilisatie en terugkeer te erkennen, maar vergat volgens Cieremans "dat zo'n stelletje geheimagenten wel een maniertje zou vinden om de zaak te forceren, hetgeen geschiedde". Wingender werd zodanig onder druk gezet dat hij de terugkeer van de BBO-groep wel moest goedkeuren.

In december keerde Faber samen met zijn collega Maarten Cieremans illegaal liftend per vliegtuig weer terug vanuit
Ceylon/Sri Lanka naar Nederland. Zij wonnen de wedstrijd om voor Kerstmis weer thuis te zijn. Anderen voeren per schip huiswaarts, en enkelen zoals Tazelaar vertrokken naar Batavia.

Op 23 januari 1946 trad Faber te Winschoten in het huwelijk met Anje Beertema met wie hij later naar Canada zou verhuizen.

Lykele ('Lee') Faber werd tweemaal gedecoreerd met het Kruis van Verdienste, de eerste maal voor zijn geslaagde Engelandvaart en de tweede keer voor zijn activiteiten met het Jedburgh team. Voor zijn werk in Friesland werd hem het Bronzen Kruis toegekend en in 1947 werd hij begiftigd met de Britse King's Medal for Courage in the Cause of Freedom. Hij was tevens drager van het Verzetsherdenkingskruis.

Sierk Plantinga

Met dank aan M. Cieremans voor de vele waardevolle inlichtingen over Lykele Faber.

Source: 'De Schakel'.

Public Record Office WO 208/3316 has MI.9 report based on interview of 29 October 1943 with George Thomas Graham.

I was a member of the crew of a Halifax bomber which took off from Middleton St.George at 1845 hours on 16 September 1943 to bomb the railway junction at Modane. We bombed our target and on the homeward journey we were attacked within sight of the French coast by a night fighter. Both port engines caught fire; we had orders to bale out.

I came down at 02:25 hours on 17 September in an open field by a river, southeast of Lisieux. I buried my kit in the the neighbourhood and started to walk in a south-westerly direction. I did not speak to anyone until the evening of 19 September. At ten kilometres from Camembert (North-West Europe 1:250,000, Sheet 7 and 29, south of Lisieux) I saw some people milking cows. I approached these and after some discussion an old man took me to his house and his wife gave me food and milk.

After they had convinced themselves of my bone fides, the old manís son-in-law took me to a hayloft and told me that he would return at 0600 hours. He duly returned and I was taken to another barn, where I stayed until 13:30 hours (20 September). He turned up again with a bicycle for me, and took me to another hiding place about eight kilometres away, and about four kilometres from Camembert.

He left me and returned at about 17:30 hours with a girl and some wine and food. She gave me to understand that her husband and talk English and that they would return. They turned up at 20:00 hours, bringing an old lady with them, and took me to the old ladyís house. Here I was given civilian clothes and food, and taken to an adjoining home for the night. The next morning I was taken in a covered cart to Vimoutieres (North-West Europe 1:250,000, Sheet 7, twenty kilometres south of Lisieux), and from here by bus to Lisieux. I stayed in a house here until 25 September while the owner was trying to get into contact with an organisation. After this date my journey was arranged for me.




@FOKKER, Lodewijk.

Name: FABER, Lykele.
P.T.C. 04-05-1944 (MI-5 and C only).
MI-5 advice 08-05-1944: Our only information about this applicant is contained in the LRC file RPS/19.933.
Born: 14-09-1919 Koudekerke, Holland.
Occupation: Post Office clerk.
Nationality: Dutch.
Pte. Add. Geuzenkade 60HS, Amsterdam.

Father: Arnold Levinus Faber, Dutch, Den Brielle.
Mother: Cornelia Jeanne Wilhelmina Drabbe, Dutch, dead.
Step-Mother: Bontje Feldman, Dutch.
Both at above address.
Brother: Gilles Faber, at Schoolstraat, Huizum.
Sister Catharina Jeanne Wilhelmina Worman-Faber, Kruisbessestraat 24, The Hague.
Sister: Jeanne Wilhelmina, living with sister.

Remarks N  16-05-1944: To be trained as agent in the field. Commenced 05-05-1944.

Landed: 16-03-1944.
SD signed: 11-06-1944.
OSA signed: 18-05-1944.

Past history: Worked at PTT Amsterdam.

N/T-D/CEM.1  04-05-1944.
Will attend SAB for training.

D/CE.2-N  04-05-1944.
Granting permission for the above before vetting formality a recompleted.

Profession: Post Office clerk.

Father - Arnold (54), Post Office clerk, Geuzekade 60, Amsterdam.
Mother - deceased.
Brother - Gilles (30) preacher.
Sister - Catharina (32) married, Kruisbergschestraat, the Hague.
Sister - Jeanne (29) nurse.               -do-

Dutch - fluent.
English - fair.
French - fair.
German - good.

Hobbies: Sailing, swimming, collecting sea shells.
Areas known: Walcheren, Friesland, Winschoten, Amsterdam, Annecy (France).
Mil. History: UK, Dutch Army, May 2, 1944.

Past history.
1925 - 1932 Elementary School, Middelburg.
1932 - 1934 Secondary School.
1934 - 1939 Commercial day-school Post Office Official Morse Course.
1942 - 1943 Post office Clerk.
July 10, 1943 left Holland via Belgium, France, Andorra, Spain.
March 16th 1994 UK.

SAB Report  08-05-1944.
General: C
Intelligence: 9
Morse: GOOD
Mechanical: GOOD
Instruction: AVERAGE.

Remarks: A very serious minded, sober determined but not particularly resourceful man with a very strong motivation and willingness to serve his country in any useful capacity. he is in no sense a leader, but he feels he has, as it were vocation for his work and his energy and aggression would supply excellent stiffening to any sabotage group. he is already a partially trained WT operator and can be recommended in that role also.

STS-22  24-05-1944.
It is difficult to say anything about this man as it is almost impossible to get him to open up. He makes a favourable impression however and seems to have plenty of physical courage and determination.

STS-22 to STS-HQ  31-05-1944.
This student is now not quite so reserved as he was in the beginning. My first impressions are confirmed in that he is a sound steady man of the plodding type.

STS-22  23-05-1944  Morse training report.
Speed: Sending 10, receiving 8.5
Quality: GOOD
General: Rather slow at receiving but tries very hard.

STS-HQ to STS-51  07-06-1944.
Will attend course commencing 11-06-1944.

STS-22  07-06-1944.
More mature than P.5 friendly enough, but rather unapproachable owing to his lack of command in English. For this reason and because of his unvaried quietness, I have little to add to previous reports. He is anxious to let an uncle in America know that his family is well. I have told him to write a letter which will be forwarded to his Section for their consideration.

STS-HQ to O.C. STS-52  16-06-1944.
Reference to HQ's letter 14-06-1944. this student will not now proceeding to STS-52 until 25-06-1944.

STS-51  17-06-1944.
This student only has been able to do 2 jumps at this school in the daytime. (1 jump from the balloon and 1 jump from
the plane, which he enjoyed very much). Owing to weather conditions he was not able to complete his parachute jumps. he is very eager to return and do the night jump. His security is good. he handles his money well. His morale is good and he drinks moderately.

STS-22  11-06-1944. Morse training report.
Speed: Sending 12, receiving 13.
Quality: Fairly good.

Physical: Good. Is good material for all kinds of physical culture. Stamina and strength good. Is agile, has good bodily control and is keen and adaptable. Ropes - good, ca climb fairly efficiently. Silent Killing - Fairly good. Is aggressive and can hurt but not vicious

Weapon: Pistol - Fast on trigger, good manipulation and style, Average shot. Machine carbine - fast and aggrressive. Average shot. Confident with both weapons.

General: Very quiet and unostentatious type. Not very intelligent, mentally slow and also slow at making decisions. He is however a sound and extremely reliable man. During the whole course he has been under 33P5 influence (fortunately good). In morse he is very erratic, due in the main to an inability to concentrate over the whole period. Made rather heavy going in primary training but has improved in the later stages.

STS-HQ to STS-52  14-06-1944.
Will proceed to STS-52 from STS-51 on 16 or 17-06-1944.

D/CEM.2 to N  15-06-1944.
No security objection to the above.

STS-51B  17-06-1944.
This NCO worked well and showed team spirit. He was very keen to learn all he could in ground training which he carried out very well. he is a fairly tough individual who showed good co-ordination in everything except on landing. he is a little awkward on this but his physique and mental alertness should give him a safe (if not entirely correct) landing. He received lectures on containers and their disposal and Reception Committee procedure.
A young and fit NCO who did well all round. A keen worker and well behaved. Training was given in leg-bag dropping but it was not found possible to make that descent.

STS-52A  30-06-1944
To attend STS 52 for training on Sunday 02-07-1944.

STS-51A  30-06-1944.
Returned to complete his course having made two descents previously. he was a little incensed at having to do the ground training again, but his performance was good. Made two descents, one from a balloon with leg-bag by day and one from an aircraft by night. TWO DESCENTS  FIRST CLASS.

Sgt. French STS-52.
Arrived 02-07-1944. this student does not master the English language very well. In spite of this he gets on with the others very well and is very keen on learning it well. his character is very friendly, he possesses plenty of common sense and he is mentally stable. His habits are moderate and he does not indulge in drink or women. his reaction to the initial security talk was satisfactory and he seems to take an interest in security.

A very quiet type of student who only mixes with his own countrymen. he hardly ever goes out, and if he does it is usually by himself. he is very well educated and intelligent. His character is steady, mentally stable and truthful. he is also unselfish. He does not possess great initiative, but given sufficient instructions should make a good man. His security is good and he observes it well.

Little more to add to previous report. Seems very good al round man. His habits are moderate and he is trustworthy and very patriotic. His security is good and he appears to be very security minded.

September. N advised.
Transferred to Jeds.
Hans Clauss Chemnitszer Fenster-, Parkett und Gebšude-Reinigung "Merkur" Blatanenstrasse 12II,
F 321114
Kraai, Susanna, born 31st March 1921, Amsterdam
Occupation: zonder, kunstniveerster, zonder, teekenares, zonder.
Father: Frederik Hendrik Kraai, 30 Ö, Tiel
Mother: Susanna Antonia Verheul, born 12 December 1902, Utrecht.

Married to: Hugo Klein, born 12 December 1920, Amersfoort.
Marriage: 31 December 1947, Amsterdam.
Divorce: 21 November 1956, Amsterdam.
Married to: Hugo Klein, born 12 December 1920, Amersfoort.
Marriage: 23 April 1960, Amsterdam.

Addresses: TIEL.
29-12-1930, AMSTERDAM, Amstellaan 4HS
07-02-1936, AMSTERDAM, Amstellaan 98II.
11-06-1941, PB 294762.
19-11-1941, AMSTERDAM, Groene Wal 26HS.
01-10-1942, PB 646791.
27-09-1946, AMSTERDAM Stalinlaan 98II.
10-11-1947, AMSTERDAM, J. IsraŽlskade 95HS.
12-10-1948, AMSTERDAM, Nw Prinsengracht 29BOV.
04-10-1949, AMSTERDAM, van Ostadestraat 320HS.
04-11-1948, AMSTERDAM, Rijn Vinkelskade 79HS.
30-09-1952, AMSTERDAM, Bos en Lommerweg 341III.
09-04-1953, AMSTERDAM, Singel 392III.
18-03-1959, AMSTERDAM, Stationskade 135II.
06-10-1960, AMSTERDAM, Willemsparkweg 103BOV.

Hugo Klein was a journalist and the couple had 2 sons, Marco & Wouter.
De Amsterdamse politieman Van Gulik maakt het volgende PB op:
Susanna KRAAY, geboren 31-3-1921 te Amsterdam, kunstnijveraarster, wonende Groenburgwal No. 26 huis alhier, doet aangifte van vermissing van haar zwart lederen ovaal vormige handtasch waarin zich onder meer bevonden haar persoonsbewijs, een beige portefouille met een bankbiljet van F.10,-, een zilverbon van F.2,50 en een zilverbon van Fl.-,- Voorst een blauwgrijze damesvulpen, een notitieboekje en eenige foto's. Vermoedelijk heeft zij de bedoelde tasch verleoren toen zij hedenmiddag tusschen 5.45 en 6.15 uur, lopend van den Zeedijk naar haar woning is gegaan. Geen vermoeden. Wordt behandeld.
FABER, Arnold Levines, 14 September 1889, Brielle, Z.H.
Nationality: Dutch.
Occupation: ambt assistent PTT, zonder.
Father: Lykele Faber.
Mother: Catharina Stoffels.
Married: Cornelia Frederika Apolonia DRABBE, born 17 April 1889 Terneuzen.
            Died 3 April 1926, Koudekerke.
Married: Bontje FELDMAN, born 17 July 1897, Usquert.
Marriage: 23 february 1927, Apeldoorn

13-11-1922, KOUDEKERKE.
27-04-1939, KOUDEKERKE, E 242
28-10-1939, AMSTERDAM, Davisstraat 57II.
24-05-1940, AMSTERDAM, Geuzenkade 60HS.

A 29-07-1933, LEEUWARDEN. Faber, Catharina Jeanne Wilhelmina
                    (Moved to Leeuwarden).
H 25-07-1940, Faber, Gilles Lijkele Arnold x Aartje Mechelina Vink. (marriage Utrecht)
A 04-09-1947, WASHINGTON, USA. Faber, Jeanne Wilhelmina Catharina
                    (Moved to Washington DC, USA).
A 08-04-1946, WINSCHOTEN. Faber, Lijkele (Moved to Winschoten).

ORDERS FOR:  TAZELAAR and FOKKER.                                                                                            Copy No. 2


In the FRIESLAND and DRENTHE area are a considerable number of small KP (KNOKPLOEGEN), RVV, (RAAD VAN VERZET) and OD (ORDE DIENST) groups and it is said that some 2.000 men in FRIESLAND require arms. Three grounds in FRIESLAND have already received some loads and were advised by a part of paratroopers who have contact with the UK (
SAS group GOBBO?) Special Forces HQ has no direct WT contact with FRIESLAND.

a. Operation Names.


These are the names of your operations and the names by which you will be known at the station of your departure. You will never use these names when you are in the field.

b. Code Names in the Field.


These are the only names that you should use in messages from the field and the names by which you will be known by other members of the organisation.


You will proceed to your contact address as per Annexe I and after you have satisfied them as to your bona fides you will explain to them that your mission is to assist them in the reception of stores, to instruct them in the use of arms and explosives and to organise the WT contact through your operator with the UK. You will instruct them on the correct reception committee procedure and after having submitted grounds to us, arrange for the briefing of the committees in accordance with a special list of reception conventions which you will take with you.

You may report to us sabotage targets which can be attacked and we shall let you know what action to take.

The present policy, although one of harassing the Wehrmacht, is rather one of protecting vital installations and preventing German scorching methods, in general, facilitating rapid Allied advance.

Reception Committees.

A reception committee should be made up of people of whom you have or can obtain full knowledge and feel absolutely sure. It is imperative that you should bear in mind the security precautions and recruit personnel so that should one man be arrested, he will not be in a position to give information which might prejudice other people or the organisation. You should never attend a reception committee unless absolutely necessary.

Once this committee has been formed you will advise us when it is ready to start work, the quantities of containers with which it can safely deal at one time and also send us for approval at least two suggested dropping points at which reception committees could receive stores on any single night - bearing in mind that if several grounds are accepted it might be found necessary to put all operations on together on one night at the various dropping points. The size of the committees will be at your own discretion and will depend upon the quantity of material which you wish to receive.


Normally you will use maps of the Netherlands, scale 1:50.000, if however, you are unable to procure these maps you may use the ANWB maps in the manner in which you have been trained, also giving the distance and bearing to the two nearest villages, towns or places. In any case, always give the series number and scale of the map which you are using. See Annexe

You have been instructed in reception work and as to the type of grounds that are suitable. It is necessary to keep some distance away from anti-aircraft defences and also to avoid zones which are usually patrolled by German night fighters.

Lighting System.

See Annexe
III for instructions as to the lighting system you must use.

Conventions to be used by Committee.

You will receive a microprint of the conventions you must use. See Annexe


On the first favourable night during the October/November moon period you and DON will be dropped to a reception committee, at a dropping point which will be indicated prior to your departure. You may ask the reception committee to look after you, but you should make your contact as per Annexe
I as soon as possible. Immediately upon landing, you will bury your parachute and equipment.


This is left to your discretion, but it will be best for you and your operator to put yourselves in the hands of your contact whom you will request to arrange for safe domicile and houses for transmission for your operator.


You and DON will each have Hfl.1500,- for you own use and you will aso take with you Hfl.10.000 for you work in connection with resistance.

Equipment - Camouflage.

a. Your personal baggage will be in a parcel and DON will have a briefcase containing codes, crystals, etc.

b. Money will be carried in a money-belt on your persons.

c. Your codes will be suitable camouflaged - see Annexe

d. You will take WT sets in a package form which will be dropped with you - see Annexe

Cover Story. See Annexe

Clothing. You will have received these in accordance with your requirements.


You have been interviewed as to your requirements for the field and will receive these, plus your parachute equipment at the station of departure. See Annexe

Documents. You have been issued with documents to fit your cover story.


a. Wireless.

You will take a One-Time-Pad for your own use and DON will have his own code and equipment for the maintenance of two-way contact with LONDON. You will do all the encoding of your messages to us and the decoding of our messages to you; this must be strictly adhered to for the security of all concerned. DON will only send messages to us concerning technical matters relating to contacts and/or the acknowledgement of messages which we shall broadcast by WY. See Annexe

b. Security.

If we have reason to suppose that you have been arrested and the Germans are working the transmitter, we shall ask you an "Innocent" question. If you are safe, you will give us the correct answer, but if we do not receive the correct answer we shall presume that you are in enemy hands. See Annexe

6. FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS.  Your salary will be credited to your account with the Dutch Government.


Report on the Operation BOBSLEIGH, carried out in German-occupied Holland by Lieutenant LYKELE FABER @ FOKKER.

FABER, a WT operator, was dropped with Lieutenant TAZELAAR (organiser) by parachute in German-occupied Holland (Friesland) on the night of 31st October 1944. The dropping ground was near Heerenveen, and the reception committee consisted of thirty to forty men under the command of a naval sergeant known as DIRK (
Dirk de Bruin, alias Dolle Dirk). The later took care of the two agents until the following day, when he sent them with two police guards to their contact address in Warga (Mr. Hoving, farmer in Domwier, near Warga), where they met the underground commander for Friesland (Arie Meijer, alias De Boer). FABER en TAZELAAR found accommodation on a farm, where they worked for a fortnight.
FABER started to work with two A mark 3 sets, which were all right for the first two months, but after that the reaction (
receiver part) of both broke and FABER had to work with a broadcast receiver. He asked for some bigger sets, B mark 2 and got five of these which he used for the rest of the time, and with which he only missed a very few skeds. He always used an indoor aerial, stretched along the inside of a hay barn, which was equally as effective as an outdoor aerial.

At first had his broadcast at 01.30 hours but as it was very cold and he found if difficult to keep awake and the family with whom he was staying were kept awake, he asked for a change of his time to 17.00 hours, to which the homestation agreed.

During the first four months the broadcast was very good, but later on it became very difficult to pick up.

In Friesland FABER and TAZELAAR met Flt. Sgt, Springate (English), who was a wireless operator and he worked for them as second operator during the rest of their stay in Friesland.

For the last month before they were liberated FABER and TAZELAAR were back again near Heereveen - having for five months moved about every fortnight - where the district operational leader DIRK (vid. supr) looked after them very well and did excellent work in his district.

During the final week before their liberation FABER lost contact with his organiser TAZELAAR (Necking), but found him again after they had been liberated.

The two agents were liberated by Canadian armoured cars on Saturday, 21st April 1945 and returned in a car belonging to the underground to the HQ of the 21st Army Group. From there they were sent to the HQ of HRH Prince Bernhard in Breda.


13 31 oktober/1 november 1944. Haskerhorne, Stirling-620 Squadron , 24 containers+2 agenten. Mission Criena 2.

17 31 oktober/1 november 1944. Mildam, Stirling-295 Squadron, 26 containers. RAF Mission Necking 1.
18 31 oktober/1 november 1944. Exmorra, Stirling-295 Squadron, 26 containers. RAF mission Necking 2.
19 21/22 november 1944. Mildam Stirling-299 Squadron, 24 containers(?). RAF mission Necking 1.
20 23/24 november 1944. Mildam, Stirling-190 Squadron, 24 containers(?). RAF mission Necking 1.
21 23/24 november 1944. Exmorra, Stirling-190 Squadron, 15 containers. RAF mission Necking 2.
22 23/24 november 1944. Oldeboorn, Stirling-190 Squadron, 15 containers. RAF mission Necking 3.
23 24/25 november 1944. Aalsum, Halifax-644 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. RAF mission Necking 4.
24 11/12 december 1944. Aalsum, Stirling-299 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 4.
25 11/12 december 1944. Exmorra, Stirling-299 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 2.
26 17/18 december 1944. Exmorra, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 2.
27 17/18 december 1944. Oldeboorn, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 3.
28 28/29 december 1944. Exmorra, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. RAF mission Necking 2.
29 28/29 december 1944. Oldeboorn, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. RAF mission Necking 3.
30 05/06 januari 1945.   Mildam, Halifax-297 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 1.
31 05/06 januari 1945.     Oldeboorn, Halifax-297 Squadron, 15 containers + 3 pakketten. RAF mission Necking 3.
32 01/02 februari 1945.   Exmorra, Stirling-295 Squadron, 15 containers. RAF mission Necking 2.
33 01/02 februari 1945.    Joure, Stirling-295 Squadron, 15 containers. RAF mission Necking 5
34 02/03-02-1945.   Exmorra, Stirling-295 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. RAF mission Necking 2.
35 27/28 maart 1945.   Rotstergaast, Stirling-570 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 6.
36 30/31maart  1945.   Rotstergaast, Stirling-295 Squadron, 24 containers + 4 pakketten. Mission Necking 6.
37 30/31maart  1945.      Woudsend, Stirling 570-Squadron 24 containers + 3 pakketten. Mission Necking 7.
38 08/09 april 1945.   Tzum-Tritsum, Stirling-620 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 8.
39 09/10 april 1945.        Tzum-Tritsum, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. Mission 8.
40 09/10 april 1945.        Rotstergaast, Stirling-196 Squadron, 24 containers + 3 pakketten. Mission Necking 6.
41 11/12 april 1945.   Burgwerd, Stirling-295 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 11.
42 11/12 april 1945.        Rotstergaast, Stirling-295 Squadron, 24 containers. RAF mission Necking 6.
43 15/16 april 1945.   Burgwerd, Halifax-297 Squadron, 22 containers + 3 pakketten. Mission Necking 11.
44 15/16 april 1945.        Woudsend, Halifax-297 Squadron, 22 containers + 3 pakketten. Mission Necking 7.

Om  enigszins een beeld te geven, wat er al niet aan materiaal in de oorlogsjaren boven Nederland ten behoeve van de illegaliteit is gedropt, even een kleine opsomming: 20.055 stenguns (Licht-automatisch handwapen) met 7584939 patronen, 4205 Lee Enfield-geweren en 726 Lee Enfield-karabijnen met 629.450 patronen voor deze beide wapens, 787 Brenguns (lichte mitrailleur). 2.842 pistolen met 145.550 patronen, 580 bazooka's. 25.710 handgranaten type Mills 36 en zelfs 2 Piats (Projector Infantry-antitank) een geducht wapen tegen pantserwagens, enz. Daarnaast werd er radiozend- en afluisterapparatuur gedropt. Ook werden 553 mistsignalen gedropt: dit waren ontstekers die op spoorrails werden geklemd".


Dropping nr. 13             De geheim agenten waren Tazelaar en Faber

Dropping nr. 22             Vliegtuig te laat, terrein door verzetsmensen verlaten.
Dropping nr. 33             Afwerpterrein niet bemand i.v.m. arrestatie verzetsgroep Echten.
Dropping nr. 43             Wapens niet meer gebruikt i.v.m. bevrijding
Dropping nr. 44             Wapens niet meer gebruikt i.v.m. bevrijding



8 Mar 1946

Unit: Royal Netherlands Army.

Rank and Army or Personal No. 1/Lieut. (4308)

Name: Lykele FABER.

Lieut. FABER, a trained WT operator, was parachuted with an organiser, into enemy-occupied North-East HOLLAND on 31 October 1944, to establish WT communication between organised resistance in the FRIESLAND area and Special Forces in U.K.

FABER succeeded in establishing communications which he maintained, with a short interruption, until he was overrun by advancing Allied troops on 21st April 1945. During this period FABER dealt with the WT traffic which resulted in arrangements being made for the airborne arming and equipment of the organised Resistance forces in FRIESLAND. He also received and transmitted the SHAEF directives and action orders to Resistance, as a result of which the FRIESLAND RESISTANCE played an important part in facilitating the advance of the Allied troops by sabotage, guerrilla activity, the saving of bridges and so on. FABER also transmitted valuable military intelligence.

FABER carried out his mission in an area which was frequently and systematically combed by German special security squads which had considerable success in the penetration and breaking upon organised resistance from time to time. On an average, he was compelled to change his location every fortnight during his 6 months stay in the field and he was in constant danger of capture, his existence and activity being known to the enemy. In spite of this FABER continued his work with courage and determination.

In view of Lieut. FABER's outstanding performance, it is recommended that he be awarded the King's Medal for Courage in the Cause of Freedom.

                                                                                               (Signed) C Mc. V Gubbins
                                                                                                               7th Jan 1946